What’s the purpose of February, anyway? Does anybody ever say it’s their favorite month, or even that they like it? There are a few special things about February that I like:
- You don’t have to mow the lawn.
- Pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training
- No baseball and football. I’m love both, but I enjoy a month off.
- School vacation in February is nice for kids, and parents who can get time off work to be with their kids.
- Grandparents take care of the grandkids when their kids can’t get time off work.
- Schools don’t heat their buildings for a week in a very cold month. February vacation started, in the 197o’s, in response to oil crises.
- Newspapers, who need all the help they can get, run special sections advertising cars.
- It’s short.
Those nice things don’t make up for the hardships.
- The weather sucks for the third straight month, and there’s no end in sight.
- People isolate and get cranky, but still have to walk the dog.
- Valentine’s Day: Does anyone care who St. Valentine was, what he did, why he was sainted, and then de-sainted a few years ago? Does that stop the florists, candy industry, and greeting card companies from shaking us down for money.
- Lincoln and Washington’s birthdays are no longer celebrated on Lincoln and Washington’s birthdays. February 12 and 22 are nothing. “President’s Day” is just an excuse to go shopping.
- TV improves because February ratings determine advertising rates for the next quarter. So after months of nothing to watch, there’s too much. The good specials are on opposite one another.
- Tax documents have all arrived, and you still haven’t filed.
- Baseball and football are nowhere in sight.